MAA's First 150 Years
Timeline written for MAA's Sesquecentennial.
Boone County wins its bid to locate the University in Columbia.
The Geyer Act establishes the University as the first publicly supported higher education institution west of the Mississippi River.
Robert L. Todd and Robert B. Todd become the University’s first alumni.
The first course in civil engineering is offered.
Alumni Society (Association) forms with Odon Guitar as first president. Robert L. Todd gives first alumni oration at commencement.
The Normal School, now the College of Education, is established. Mary Gillett graduates from the Normal School. As was the case at MU, she was not allowed to complete courses for a bachelor’s degree.
Federal Morrill Act makes MU a land-grant university and spurs establishment of College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts.
The law department is established.
Anna Ware becomes the first female to graduate from MU with a four-year bachelor’s degree.
Alumni vote to raise $10,000 to endow the association.
The Missouri Agricultural Experiment Station is established to conduct research and share knowledge.
At the association’s annual meeting, alumni resolve to create an Alumni Annual containing the annual oration and information on all alumni.
The St. Louis alumni chapter is formed.
The Kansas City chapter isformed by this year.
The endowment committee raises enough subscriptions to create a $3,000 fund.
The Academic department is established (forerunner to College of Arts and Science).
The first doctor of philosophy degree from MU is awarded.
The Department of Household Economics, now the College of Human Environmental Sciences, is established.
The first nursing class graduates. In 1920, the Department of Nursing is established within the School of Medicine. It becomes the autonomous School of Nursing in 1975.
Boone County is among the 39 new Missouri county chapters.
The Boonville Weekly Advertiser writes that 3,276 men and women have graduated from the University.
There are 50 alumni chapters by 1907.
April 19, 1907 - First celebration of Founders Day.
The School of Journalism is established.
New chapters form in California, Chicago and Seattle.
A New York City chapter forms.
Alumni make a plea for regular reunions at five, 10, 15, 20 and 25 years after graduation.
A Washington D.C., chapter forms.
A Portland, Ore., chapter forms.
The School of Commerce is established (forerunner to College of Business).
A north California chapter forms.
There are new chapters in New Mexico and Cleveland.
Twin Cities and Tulsa chapters form.
It is estimated that there are 30,000 - 40,000 former students and alumni of the University.
There is a groundbreaking for Memorial Tower. MUAA plays a key role in the fundraising campaign for both Memorial Union and Memorial Stadium.
Alumni vote to begin having an alumni dinner at Homecoming.
The Executive Committee of MUAA meets in Jesse Hall and becomes a board of directors with representatives from each academic unit at MU. The board recommends the creation of an MUAA-sponsored placement office and a committee on alumni gifts and scholarships.
Alumni luncheon is held at the Missouri State Fair.
Medical School Alumni Association forms.
Class reunions are held at Homecoming instead of commencement on trial basis in hopes that attendance and enthusiasm will improve.
The Journalism School Alumni Association forms.
MUAA is chartered.
William Albrecht collects a soil sample from Sanborn Field that provides the golden mold used to make the penicillin-like wonder drug aureomycin.
The College of Veterinary Medicine is established.
April 12, 1949
The University appoints Guy “Bus” Entsminger as the Assistant Director of Alumni Activities. He becomes Vice Chancellor for Development and Alumni Relations in 1967. Many consider him the father of alumni relations at MU.
The Alumni Alliance forms to support the University of Missouri System.
Alumni Association and Alumni Achievement Fund combined to become Office of Development and Alumni Relations.
The association awards the first Faculty-Alumni Awards recognizing the achievements of distinguished faculty
The University renames its alumni organization "Alliance of Alumni Associations."
Gifts to the University by alumni increase to $570,380, up $75,000 from 1971.
The Alliance of Alumni Association bylaws are adopted.
The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching publishes its first classification of American colleges and universities. MU is grouped among the nation’s best universities that confer the most doctoral degrees and participate in the most federally funded research.
The Alumni Association Student Board is founded.
The Alumni Association Student Board holds its first Alumathon: a cross-country race benefiting the Alumni Scholar Program.
The School of Health Related Professions is established.
The Black Alumni Organization forms.
The Franklin County chapter forms.
The Alumni College begins, co-sponsored by the association and University Extension.
The Truman Conference on U.S.-Korean Relations forms, partly to keep in contact with Korean alumni.
The association establishes the Faculty Development Incentive Program, now the Dr. Richard Wallace Research
The Seal of Excellence is awarded to the association’s Homecoming celebration as part of the Council for Advancement and Support of Education’s (CASE) Circle of Excellence awards. The association continues to be selected for a national CASE Circle of Excellence Award each year for the next five years.
The University renames the Alliance of Alumni Associations "the Alumni Alliance"
The association’s student membership program is expanded and re-branded as "True Tigers."
The Columns Recognition Program is launched and focuses on building association volunteer support through alumni chapters.
2002 (Homecoming weekend)
Alumni and friends of the University gather on the South Quad for the dedication of Tiger Plaza.
MU reaches its $600 million fundraising goal and raises the bar to $1 billion.
The association honors students in their senior year with a strong commitment to community service by recognizing the first class of Mizzou ‘39 at a candlelight ceremony on Francis Quadrangle.
The association marks the second-best membership gain in 12 years and brings membership to an all-time high of 37,550.
More than $220,000 is awarded in student scholarships through the association and its affiliated organizations.
Across the country, 45 alumni chapters kick off the association’s 150th anniversary on January 16 by watching the men’s basketball Tigers beat the Jayhawks 89-86 in overtime.